I know I can’t be alone about feeling the need to detox after a long weekend. Broccoli soup just seems like the perfect remedy for negating weekend eats.
My mom used to make the best broccoli soup when I was growing up. I remember devouring it and always wanting seconds. There is something about the broccoli combined with the onions and garlic and the creamy texture of the heavy cream that really makes the perfect flavor combination.
I wanted to make something resembling my mom's broccoli soup but without the dairy and some added cauliflower for a more creamy texture. I was surprised it turned out so delicious!
To be honest, I made mine a little on the spicy side (I added a LOT of garlic) so my kids didn't really like it. Next time, I'll try to tame down the garlic and see what happens.
Here’s how to make it..
- 2 heads organic broccoli, roughly chopped and stems removed
- 1 head organic cauliflower, roughly chopped and stems removed
- 1 + 1/2 yellow onions
- 3-5 garlic cloves (depending on the amount of spice you want)
- 1 carton organic chicken or vegetable broth (for vegan option)
- 1 can organic full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, stems removed and chopped
- 1 sardine (optional)
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add a few swirls of EVOO to pan over medium heat. Add chopped onions and stir until soft. Add sardine (adds flavor) and garlic and mix together.
- Once onions have softened a bit, add broccoli, cauliflower, parsley, broth and the creamy top of the coconut milk can (save the rest of the milk for another time.) Add spices and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a soft boil, then cover and turn to low heat and let it simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Once soup is soft and ready, use a hand blender to blend it into a creamy blended texture.
- Serve hot and enjoy!